Friday, September 3, 2010

She, Her and I: Chapter 4

Chapter 4:
The Coatroom
But back to the peachy keen relationship. It must have been true love because somehow, I don’t remember the apology or explanation of how his friend sat next to me and they decided together that my butt should be grabbed…I took him back. Maybe a Jolly Rancher?

The biggest milestone of the hottest couple in 4th grade occurred, of course, in the coatroom away from prying eyes. Now you may be thinking, this is going to be racy. From what I’ve read so far this girl flirts with boys, is down with OPP, gets her butt grabbed almost on a daily basis and now is dangling a story about the coatroom. Please don’t forget, this is a teacher’s pet you are reading about.

And actually before THE coatroom story, let me insert another highlight of fourth grade. I figure if I can remember it happening, it is a highlight. The setting: my fourth grade classroom, the date is inconsequential, but the time was morning, just before the tardy bell rang. Most of us were in our seats, checking in our lunch count, getting ready for the day to start when in walks Ken from the coatroom. Ken was part of the gifted program with me and was relatively quiet. He blended in well and was kind of part of the background until that day. This day changed everything and I remember it, 18 years later. Imagine that quiet, intelligent, somewhat shy boy that we all had in at least one of our classes growing up. Then, imagine that boy walking determinately out the coatroom with a look of fierce pride on his face and a Ren & Stimpy T-shirt on that read, “Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy.” That one t-shirt, a simple shirt with a Nickelodeon cartoon on it, changed his image in everyone’s mind that day. Way to put yourself on the map, Ken!

But as I promised, here is the coatroom story. I could lie and say this was how he made up for the field trip fiasco, and it is totally possible that this could be right, but I doubt it.

Naturally, it took place in the morning. She arrived promptly at school, hung up her spring jacket, and walked to her desk where she took out her necessary school supplies and waited for further instructions. Instead of the directions coming from her beloved teacher, they were from a friend, not the butt grabbing friend, but a different friend who simply informed her, “Connor is waiting for you in the coatroom.”

Well, here is where the teacher’s pet in her faltered. The instructions given as far back as kindergarten clearly state that you are not to hang out in the coatroom, simply hang up what you need to hang up then come in to class. As the bell was about to ring, she was doubly nervous that she would be counted tardy not being in my seat when the school day started. She was clearly ready for the factories, already having succumbed to the Pavlovian reaction of salivating at the ring of the school bell, ready for work production.

But the flirtatious vixen took over.

She stood up, pushed her chair back defiantly, and walked, head held high, to the coatroom. That’s when her confidence wavered. It was easy to pretend in front of her friends in class (who she thought all had a crush on him too) but she was nervous. What was she about to walk in to? But in she walked, and he was standing there in front of his coat hook, with a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles book bag hanging on it. He looked up as she walked over to him, gave her a 1 second hug, then walked out of the coat room. She was in heaven!

March 19th, 1992


For a little while there was a rumor going around that Connor kissed me in the coatroom. I personally thought it was funny! You know what they say, first hugs then kisses! All the girls were jealous of course.* Oh, and another story, my best friend, Samantha, told me that Connor said “the only girls I want to be around are Erin, Vanessa and Samantha.” Well, Erin has been going around saying, “he said my name first. That means he likes me best!” Ever heard 1st is the worst, 2nd is the best, Erin?
I love Connor!

*There was never proof that all the girls were in fact jealous. This was just an opinion formed by a self-important, stuck-up, teacher’s pet.  AND, I've never heard the saying, "first hugs, then kisses."  Again, I don't know who I thought I was fooling...myself?

Also, coming from a teacher's perspective, let me tell you how glad I am that coatrooms are no longer part of new-age classrooms!  A whole, hidden room, small spaces...not with how kids are these days!  Keep them in sight at all times, please! 

No comments:

Post a Comment