Chapter 5:
The Bike Ride
Things were slowly progressing for the two lovebirds. Spring Break came and went, with predictable outcomes. When she and the boy saw each other out of school, amongst different sets of friends, of course they needed to act differently to each other, like they didn’t know each other, or talk on the phone and say “I love you” every other sentence. Isn’t that how all relationships really go? Someone is only cool and acceptable if the whole group agrees? Maybe she wasn’t confident in her own choice to know he was cool if her flock wasn’t around agreeing with her. Maybe he felt the same way and she didn’t hold up in other’s eyes…
I am sick of putting up with Connor’s rude comments when he is with his friends on Spring Break. I’m still going out with him. I slept over Renee’s house and I wanted to walk around the block because he lives on the street behind hers. So we did, and Connor was so rude! He called me a geek. I was so mad I almost slapped him across his face. I am sick of putting up with his rude comments!
I like Connor! Maybe.
Don’t worry. Spring Break ended and school was back in session. Surrounded by the right people, they were again cool in each other’s eyes.
Connor knows when I’m mad at him and he always makes up! Today at lunch he found out some words in a different language and it meant “love” and he would say
“I (whatever the word was) you Erin. Not!” or
“I “ “ you, Sam. Not!” then he said
“I “ “ you, Vanessa.” And I said, “yeah me too.” He said, “say not now” and I said no. Now I know he loves me and he know I love him.
I love Connor and he loves me!
To further add to this love story, the two had a movie date. Well, in fourth grade to celebrate the end of CAT tests, their class got to watch a movie, White Fang. Being a little young to appreciate Ethan Hawke, Vanessa was given a golden opportunity of having her seat moved next to Connor’s and a movie? This was “going out.”
We switched seats in school and I sit by Connor. We watched “White Fang” in school on Friday and Miss Mann said if you can’t see come on the floor. I heard Connor say, “don’t go.” I didn’t. Then he shared his cheese things with me. Then he put one of his legs on the rungs of his desk. I did that too. Then I put my other leg under his shoe. I got a feeling that felt like I had to go to the bathroom. Connor didn’t move from the position and neither did I. If kissing Connor feels better that that feeling I got during “White Fang” then I definitely want to kiss Connor.
Wow....cheese things. Candy and snacks? This boy was the one. I'm curious if my being a teacher’s pet allowed me to be placed by my boyfriend for most of the year. Umm, yeah!
Oh, and I also feel that I must add this. While in most cases I read my diary and say, I definitely remember that and have all the memories rush back and can see the colors, smell the air, etc, I also recall sometimes lying to my diary. Who was I trying to fool? Did I secretly know that my sisters were reading it? My oh-so secret under the mattress location wasn’t fooling anyone- I also kept my allowance under there as well. While I knowingly loaned out some of my cash to my sisters actually who went out and did things that required money, and weren’t just saving it up for American Girl dolls outfits, I’m sure they also helped themselves from time to time. I was the youngest- it happens!
Or did I secretly know that I had the potential to be a huge bitch and was afraid of looking back and seeing myself that way? Anyway, I know that some parts of the diary entries are exaggerated, but hey, if I kept them for all these years, why not print them as they are written? Even if it is embarrassing, like "feeling like I had to go to the bathroom." I guess I wasn't that poetic yet to write "feels like butterflies." Don't worry, I will keep this as accurate as possible and remember to point out things I was lying about.
Or did I secretly know that I had the potential to be a huge bitch and was afraid of looking back and seeing myself that way? Anyway, I know that some parts of the diary entries are exaggerated, but hey, if I kept them for all these years, why not print them as they are written? Even if it is embarrassing, like "feeling like I had to go to the bathroom." I guess I wasn't that poetic yet to write "feels like butterflies." Don't worry, I will keep this as accurate as possible and remember to point out things I was lying about.
Then, came the out-of-school milestone. The Bike Ride. Of course, it was out of school, but still involved the regular school crowd otherwise they wouldn’t have had this interaction. School was almost over, the weather was getting warmer and bikes were super cool. Cars were not cool because it meant a parent was driving. It wasn't even cool to sit in the front seat of a car. That would be like wearing your book bag on both shoulders in middle school. You just didn't do it. But bikes....bikes were awesome.
She was riding her bike up to school for the much anticipated Bicycle Rodeo. This consisted of different competitions: stopping on a certain spot, using correct hand signals, staying in between lanes for a certain distance. Everyone was looking forward to it, but little did she know the most exciting part would happen after the Rodeo was over. Having successfully participated and gotten a ribbon (just for participation) she was ready to disregard the rules and ride like the wind!
Oh, she took off through the parking lot and up the big hill by the school. Her big plan was to peddle down the hill a certain distance, then lift her feet up onto the sweet dipped handlebars. Oh, didn’t I mention it? She was riding a banana-seat bike with motorcycle-like handlebars that were perfect to place your feet on and coast.
However, something more exciting was going to happen instead! She got to the top of the hill, started pedaling then heard a commotion behind her. It was the boy and his posse of three friends (who regarded her as cool)!! She heard them call to each other, “Hey! Let’s chase her and whoever catches her gets to kiss her!” Oh, it was on!
She had already taken off down the hill, so she let herself coast for awhile until she ascertained who was the closest to her. It was Max! NO! Hadn’t he done enough damage at the dumb field trip? Grabbed her butt? He was not about to take her kissing V-card too! She took off again until they jockeyed positions and Connor was closest. She maneuvered onto a sidewalk that led her to a dead-end at the front of the school. Connor ‘tagged’ her and the game ended…
They all gathered around her in a circle and he began to lean in for the kill. She was suddenly very nervous and could tell that he was unsure too. But the circle was anxiously watching, drooling over a live kissing booth, wishing they had a girlfriend. He was taking longer and longer to lean over (both of them were still sitting on the bikes) and she got more and more nervous until she suddenly turned her head to the side, opting for a cheek kiss instead. With that, she gave him his out. With a cry of, “She’s a prude!” the boys took off and she remained, still a kissing virgin. The only thing left to do was to go home and write about it:
Connor really does love me! I did the stupidest thing after the bicycle rodeo today. Connor was going to kiss me and I backed away. I’ll probably not get that chance again for awhile.
I love you I love you I love you I love you
I’m sorry Connor! I want you to kiss me! Please!
Thought you had had enough foreplay? Hey! This is still fourth grade. Keep your pants on! What kind of girl did you think I was anyway?
No comments:
Post a Comment